Tuesday, June 22, 2010

a happy time

Frieda spent last Thursday evening at Granny's. Something she's not done since I was in hospital having Stella.

Parenting truly does ruin your life. You spend so much time wishing for some peace and quiet, but when you do get a little break, and come home to the prospect of no manic supper and bath-time with your lively child, you find the house boringly empty. You don't know what to do with yourself. You miss the little blighter.

Stella however became extraordinarily loud that evening. Squeals and yelps of delight. Was she ...
a) filling the void
b) taking the gap, or
c) always so loud but we don't notice when her much louder big sister's around?

Not that there was time to relax or anything. Oh no, there was cake to be baked, fridge tart to make, pink squishy meringues to remake (seems I may have compromised my baking mojo with this post). There were balloons to be blown up and lots more preparation for The Third Birthday Party on Friday.

Funny story: ages ago Frieda requested a Fish cake and I duly started working on designs. In fact, she and I had a fun afternoon with an A3 sheet of paper and her crayons, conceptualising the whole event (I'll make an event coordinator of her yet). Imagine my horror when 3 days before the big day she started talking about the dog cake she was having for her party. Wtf?
She was mentioning it often enough that I was getting a bit nervous that we might be heading for some kind of disappointed breakdown should it not materialise. But like hell was I going to change the plans for THIS beauty ...


Hey? Hey? God, I'm proud.

I decided the success would be in the billing and, when revealing this work of cake wonder, I pronounced it a Dogfish Cake.
I think she was pleased, do you?


(Please note outfit from when she was a flower-girl at a cousin's wedding recently. Pearls on a 3 yr old are really not my style. But secretly I think they're kinda cute ...)

Kiddie party on Friday was followed by family do on Sunday (the actual day). More cake, more presents, more delicious celebrations.

And just like that, I have a 3 year old.
Shew.

7 comments:

MissBuckle said...

Yay for Frieda and the fish(dog)cake! We can't get blue food dye in Norway or else I would copy copy copy.

A. xxx

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

Two things: LOVELY CAKE.
and

Thanks for coming by my blog. I know there are a lot of interesting things to read and look at on this world wide web, and the idea that you poke your head in on my blog-business tickles me pink.

Truly.
ps- Happy Birthday Frieda!

McGillicutty said...

Happy Birthday Frieda... and that cake rocks!!!
it is funny how you suddenly feel like one is a breeze when #2 is out of the picture and vice versa.... yay for a little time with Grandma!!

Unknown said...

That cake is totally awesome!!! Love it - very impressive!

Michelle Roger said...

Love the mummy problem solving fish/dog cake. :) Great cake.

Fi said...

Yum! Happy birthday to Frieda, she looks so pretty in her pearls & oh so very happy with the cake!!

3! Wow. xxx

Kat said...

What a rocking cake!