Sunday, September 28, 2008

madiba

I hope he's ok. I keep thinking of him watching what the ANC's been up to and getting more and more despondent.

I really hope this is not the case and that he's at peace, having a whiskey with Graca in the evenings, playing cards, watching BBC crime programmes in front of the heater, having long naps in the Eazi-Boy in the afternoons...

This piece of old struggle graffiti never ceases to warm my heart. It's up on the wall outside Groote Schuur hospital and has been there since the 80's. I wish I knew who put it up then and I'm pleased that it's been respected ever since. No one has tagged it, or added to it, or attempted to paint it out. It sits there to remind us of our history and I'm sure I'm by far not the only person who smiles whenever I drive past it.

Let's hope it stays there for a long time yet, no matter what else may happen in this bizarre nation of ours.

No comments: