Monday, September 22, 2008

decision made!

I mean, it's not like I didn't know which was the right one all along. I just needed to a) make very very sure and b) work out exactly how to play it.

I know, I know, I'm very fortunate to have the luxury of choice about going back to work and under what circumstances. I've watched so many friends with children agonise over career decisions and know as many who didn't have any choice in when/how to go back to work.

I've also read so much about the various debates around working versus or as well as motherhood and all I can say on that is God us chicks give ourselves a hard time! I mean really, I've read articles about stay-at-home mums by working women which have left me breathless by the brutality of their opinions and similarly, I've read judgements by stay-at-home mums against working mums which have chilled me to the bone. Seriously girls, is this what the feminist revolution has taught us?

My mother, a very very wise woman who has achieved great notoriety in her career as well as been an amazing and attentive mother, always says that the best thing you can do for your children is to be happy. And this is the philosophy I'm determined to live by.

Having said all of that..... the job I've decided not to go for would have been, pre-baby, a bit of a dream position for me. But, I am sure that the decision not to take it is the best one in the long term, not just for my girl, but also for my own happiness.

And I have every faith another opportunity like this one will materialise when the time is better for me, and.... in the meantime something else has come along! Something maybe not quite as earth-shatteringly glam and exciting, but a nice fun project with nice people and a fun brief which fits into my life much better for the moment. We're still working out the details but I'm hopeful and have made peace that this is the right thing to do.

For now. Hmmmmm.

No comments: